Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme in Science (UROPS)
The Faculty introduced USRP (Undergraduate Science Research Programme) in AY1994/95. It was later renamed as UROPS in 1998. The aim of this programme is to provide you with an unique opportunity to work with our Faculty staff and experience the challenges and benefits that come from pursuing an independent research project. It is also one of the most important means for undergraduate students to foster mentoring relationships with faculty and research staff while working in a specific area of study.
This programme allows you to engage actively in research, discussions, intellectual communications and other creative activities. By complementing the conventional classroom learning, UROPS places students at the frontiers of scientific research. Through the typical phases of doing research, you are able to enhance your knowledge in the latest development of science and technology; acquire special communication and presentation skills; experience creative thinking; interact and forge closer ties with the established scientists and members of their groups. We believe that the experience you can gain upon completion of the project will assist you in the preparation for future careers and postgraduate training.
UROPS can be read at either Level-2000 or Level-3000
- Level-2000 :- students must have completed at least one semester of study at point of application and attained a CAP of 3.00 or higher
- Level-3000 :- students must have completed at least three semesters of study at point of application and attained a CAP of 3.00 or higher.
Students can also choose to undertake either a 4 MCs or 8 MCs UROPS
- Project Duration: One semester (4 MCs)
- Students undertaking a one-semester long project will register online for a 4 MCs UROPS module (i.e. XX2288 or XX3288). Students will be evaluated at the end of the semester and receive a grade for the module.
- Project Duration: Two semesters (8 MCs)
- Students undertaking a two-semester long project will register online for one 8 MCs project (XX2288 or XX3288 will be preallocated at the beginning of the first semester that they embark on the project). They will only receive an IP (in progress) grade for that module at the end of the first semester since evaluation only takes place at the end of two semesters. The Dean's Office will preallocate XX2288/XX3288 and XX2289/XX3289 at the beginning of the second semester. Upon evaluation at the end of second semester, students will receive a final grade on both modules XXx288 and XXx289.
Important: A student can only undertake one UROPS project during an academic semester. Also, the same module code cannot be repeated.
For e.g., a student who has done a Level-3000 UROPS from the Department of Chemistry (i.e. CM3288) is not allowed to do the same level of UROPS from the same Department again.
Departments will decide on the format of evaluation/ examination.
UROPS Registration and Timeline
Reading UROPS modules in fulfillment of Major Requirements