Overseas Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme in Science (UROPS) at University of Toronto, Mississauga Campus (UTM)
The International Research Opportunity Program (iROP) is a joint initiative between the International Education Centre and the Experiential Education Office at the University of Toronto (UofT). An iROP offers undergraduate students the chance to work on cutting edge, hands-on research; one-on-one with some of the university's most renowned professors at Canada's premiere research institution.
Students will not only have the opportunity to gain practical skills and knowledge but also explore new areas of interest. The experience gained can be directly applied to related careers and future graduate studies.
Along with research, iROP students can choose to partake in classes offered by UTM during their period of stay, providing a well-rounded global study experience. Credits are offered to participants.
For more information, please click here.
The programme takes place in Ontario, Canada.
Mid-May to Mid-August.
Students will be assessed according to the UofT assessment criteria and receive a transcript issued by the institution. Credits obtained may be transferred to a 4 modular credits (MCs) Level 2000/3000 UROPS.
With effect from AY2018/2019, students may transfer up to a maximum of 10 Modular Credits (MCs) for each summer programme (takes place between May and July) and up to a maximum of 5 MCs for each winter programme (takes place in December). Please note that when you submit a request for Credits Transfer via NUS Student Information System (NUS SIS), you must ensure that the correct number of MCs to be transferrred is accurate. For instance, if you would like to transfer 10 MCs for a summer school, please request for Credits Transfer for 10 MCs.
Students can map a total of 12 MCs from a maximum of 2 overseas summer/winter programmes without having to pay tuition at NUS. Any additional MCs mapped will be subjected to NUS Special Term fees.
NUS students must:
- Be a full-time Faculty of Science student.
- Have a clean disciplinary record.
- All Year 2 and Year 3 students may apply
- Not intending to graduate at the end of Semester 2.
- Not be National Servicemen who are called up for In-Camp Training (ICT). Deferment letter will not be provided.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to attend an interview at the Science Dean’s Office in the week of 8 January 2018. After accepting the internal offer, you will be informed further on subsequent steps and project requirements.
An internal offer does not guarantee your placement in the programme. Your admission outcome is up to the discretion of the partner institution.
Number of Places
The number of places is decided by UTM.
Students do not need to pay NUS Special Term fees nor tuition fees to UofT. However, students are responsible for their own airfare, accommodation, meals, personal expenses, etc.
Estimated cost (Please note that the figures provided are only estimates)
Food and Transport
Click here to find out more about the various financial assistance schemes offered by NUS.
Programme Application Procedure and Deadline
- Unofficial transcript.
- Curriculum Vitae. Highlight any prior research experience that you may have to support your application.
- Personal statement, including your area of research interest/project, why you are interested in the mentioned area/project, etc. Please indicate clearly the project you are interested in (if projects list is provided). Otherwise, please indicate the supervisor you wish to work with.
- One recommendation letter from a faculty member in field/s related to your major.Please ask your recommender to send the recommendation letter directly to the Science Dean’s Office (Attn: Ms Niah Weixin). Both hardcopy and softcopy will be accepted.
Please refer to Guide for Student Programme Application BEFORE your application. You will need to log on to NUS WebVPN before accessing the Guide and NUS SIS.
All students travelling overseas for activities or purposes approved, endorsed, organised, sponsored or authorised by NUS will be covered by the NUS Student Travel Insurance Policy. Click here (under Insurance Cover for Official NUS Trips) for more information.
Exclusions to the NUS Student Travel Insurance may apply. Students are to ensure that they have sufficient travel insurance coverage, and may consider purchasing additional travel insurance if required.