Overseas Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme in Science (UROPS) at Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU)
Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) is constantly strengthening its independent scientific research innovation capability. Research fund has increased steadily, with funding support from the National Natural Science Foundation, and major breakthroughs have been made in the construction of research bases and laboratories. SJTU has also won numerous scientific awards due to its high research qualities. It is also ranked second in China for publishing many outstanding Science Citation Index (SCI) dissertations.
For the list of potential placement, please refer to the following websites:
- Institute of Natural Sciences
- School of Mathematical Sciences
- School of Physics and Astronomy
- School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology
- School of Biomedical Engineering
- School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
The programme takes place in Shanghai, China.
The programme takes place from 14 May 2018 to 4 August 2018.
Students will be assessed according to the assessment criteria of their home department at NUS, and obtain credits and grades for a Level 2000/3000 UROPS.
With effect from AY2018/2019, students may transfer up to a maximum of 10 Modular Credits (MCs) for each summer programme (takes place between May and July) and up to a maximum of 5 MCs for each winter programme (takes place in December). Please note that when you submit a request for Credits Transfer via NUS Student Information System (NUS SIS), you must ensure that the correct number of MCs to be transferrred is accurate. For instance, if you would like to transfer 10 MCs for a summer school, please request for Credits Transfer for 10 MCs.
Students can map a total of 12 MCs from a maximum of 2 overseas summer/winter programmes without having to pay tuition at NUS. Any additional MCs mapped will be subjected to NUS Special Term fees. T
NUS students must:
- Be a full-time Faculty of Science student.
- Have a clean disciplinary record.
- All Year 2 and Year 3 students may apply
- Not intending to graduate at the end of Semester 2.
- Not be National Servicemen who are called up for In-Camp Training (ICT). Deferment letter will not be provided.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to attend an interview at the Science Dean’s Office in the week of 5 February 2018. After accepting the internal offer, you will be informed further on subsequent steps and project requirements.
An internal offer does not guarantee your placement in the programme. Your admission outcome is up to the discretion of the partner institution.
Number of Places
There are four places available.
Students are responsible for their own airfare, accommodation, meals, personal expenses, etc.
Estimated cost (Please note that the figures provided are only estimates)
Food and Transport
Click here to find out more about the various financial assistance schemes offered by NUS.
Programme Application Procedure and Deadline
Students are to contact the faculty members at SJTU to secure a placement and submit a proof of acceptance by the supervisor in a form of letter or email.
- Proof of acceptance by the faculty member/supervisor at SJTU in a form of letter or email.
- Unofficial transcript.
- Curriculum Vitae. Highlight any prior research experience that you may have to support your application.
- Personal statement, including your area of research interest/project, why you are interested in the mentioned area/project, etc.
- One recommendation letter from a faculty member in field/s related to your major. Please ask your recommender to send the recommendation letter directly to the Science Dean’s Office (Attn: Ms Niah Weixin). Both hardcopy and softcopy will be accepted.
Please refer to Guide for Student Programme Application BEFORE your application. You will need to log on to NUS WebVPN before accessing the Guide and NUS SIS.
All students travelling overseas for activities or purposes approved, endorsed, organised, sponsored or authorised by NUS will be covered by the NUS Student Travel Insurance Policy. Click here (under Insurance Cover for Official NUS Trips) for more information.
Exclusions to the NUS Student Travel Insurance may apply. Students are to ensure that they have sufficient travel insurance coverage, and may consider purchasing additional travel insurance if required.