Overseas Summer Undergraduate Research Attachment Programme in Science (URAPS) at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST)
The academic divisions and research centres support the University's research mission by bringing its faculty members, researchers and graduate students from across the disciplines, leveraging its multidisciplinary strengths to unravel fundamental and goal-oriented problems.
Selected students may be enrolled into the Visiting Student Research Internship Program (VSRP). The VSRP is an opportunity for exceptionally qualified baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate students to conduct research with faculty mentors in selected areas of basic and applied research projects.
For possible placements, please visit Faculty of Chemistry & Chemical Engineering and Faculty of Material Science and Engineering. Interested students may shortlist up to 3 supervisors they wish to work with in their application.
The programme takes place in Thuwal, Saudi Arabia.
The programme takes place from 14 May 2018 to 4 August 2018.
The programme is a non-credit bearing, Summer Undergraduate Research Attachment Programme in Science (URAPS).
NUS students must:
- Be a full-time Faculty of Science student.
- Have a clean disciplinary record.
- All Year 2 and Year 3 students may apply
- Not intending to graduate at the end of Semester 2.
- Not be National Servicemen who are called up for In-Camp Training (ICT). Deferment letter will not be provided.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to attend an interview at the Science Dean’s Office in the week of 5 February 2018. After accepting the internal offer, you will be informed further on subsequent steps and project requirements.
An internal offer does not guarantee your placement in the programme. Your admission outcome is up to the discretion of the partner institution.
Number of Places
There are three places for this programme.
Students are responsible for their own airfare, accommodation, meals, personal expenses, etc.
Estimated cost (Please note that the figures provided are only estimates)
Food and Transport
Click here to find out more about the various financial assistance schemes offered by NUS.
Students may be awarded up to SAR1,500 (approximately SGD500) per month by KAUST upon successful admission into VSRP.
Programme Application Procedure and Deadline
- Unofficial transcript.
- Curriculum Vitae. Highlight any prior research experience that you may have to support your application.
- Personal statement, including the KAUST supervisor you would like to work under (up to 3 choices), your area of research interest/project, why you are interested in the mentioned area/project, etc.
- One recommendation letter from a faculty member in field/s related to your major. Please ask your recommender to send the recommendation letter directly to the Science Dean’s Office (Attn: Ms Niah Weixin). Both hardcopy and softcopy will be accepted.
Please refer to Guide for Student Programme Application BEFORE your application. You will need to log on to NUS WebVPN before accessing the Guide and NUS SIS.
All students travelling overseas for activities or purposes approved, endorsed, organised, sponsored or authorised by NUS will be covered by the NUS Student Travel Insurance Policy. Click here (under Insurance Cover for Official NUS Trips) for more information.
Exclusions to the NUS Student Travel Insurance may apply. Students are to ensure that they have sufficient travel insurance coverage, and may consider purchasing additional travel insurance if required.