Overseas Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme in Science (UROPS) at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC-Chapel Hill)
Each year, scientists at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill oversee more than $1 billion worth of research activity, solidifying Carolina’s prominence as one of the top research universities in the nation.
Research conducted at UNC provides teaching and training opportunities to nearly 30,000 students and fosters a creative environment where the world’s top scientists collaborate to solve problems, discover new technologies, and save lives.
The secret to UNC’s success is its ability to build interdisciplinary teams that utilise diverse perspectives to collaborate on challenges attractive to research sponsors. Carolina’s network of centres and institutes plays a crucial role in this process, providing convening points for scholars of different disciplines to move discoveries into practice and technologies into the marketplace.
The programme takes place in North Carolina, USA.
The programme takes place from 16 May 2018 to 31 July 2018 (UNC-Chapel Hill Summer Session 1 & 2)
Students may enrol in one 1 to 3 credit-hour course in each of the two summer sessions offered by the UNC-Chapel Hill Summer School. Students may work half-time in a lab for the whole summer (3 credits each summer term) as well as take one course each summer term (1-3 credits each summer term) adding to a total of up to 12 UNC-Chapel Hill credits for the whole summer. The UNC-Chapel Hill credits : NUS MCs conversion ratio is 15 credits : 20 MCs.
Students can map a total of 12 MCs from a maximum of 2 overseas summer/winter programmes without having to pay tuition at NUS. Any additional MCs mapped will be subjected to NUS Special Term fees.
NUS students must:
- Be a full-time Faculty of Science student.
- Have a clean disciplinary record.
- All Year 2 and Year 3 students may apply
- Not intending to graduate at the end of Semester 2.
- Not be National Servicemen who are called up for In-Camp Training (ICT). Deferment letter will not be provided.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to attend an interview at the Science Dean’s Office in the week of 8 January 2018. After accepting the internal offer, you will be informed further on subsequent steps and project requirements.
An internal offer does not guarantee your placement in the programme. Your admission outcome is up to the discretion of the partner institution.
Number of Places
The number of places is decided by UNC - Chapel Hill.
Students are responsible for their own airfare, accommodation, meals, personal expenses, etc.
Estimated cost (Please note that the figures provided are only estimates)
SGD3,000 for 2 summer sessions
Food and Transport
Click here to find out more about the various financial assistance schemes offered by NUS.
Programme Application Procedure and Deadline
- Unofficial transcript.
- Curriculum Vitae. Highlight any prior research experience that you may have to support your application.
- Personal statement, including your area of research interest/project, why you are interested in the mentioned area/project, etc. Please contact the research supervisor at UNC-CH to look for a placement only after you have been shortlisted for the programme by NUS.
- One recommendation letter from a faculty member in field/s related to your major.Please ask your recommender to send the recommendation letter directly to the Science Dean’s Office (Attn: Ms Niah Weixin). Both hardcopy and softcopy will be accepted.
Please refer to Guide for Student Programme Application BEFORE your application. You will need to log on to NUS WebVPN before accessing the Guide and NUS SIS.
All students travelling overseas for activities or purposes approved, endorsed, organised, sponsored or authorised by NUS will be covered by the NUS Student Travel Insurance Policy. Click here (under Insurance Cover for Official NUS Trips) for more information.
Exclusions to the NUS Student Travel Insurance may apply. Students are to ensure that they have sufficient travel insurance coverage, and may consider purchasing additional travel insurance if required.