Elsinore Summer School
Keen to read a Life Science module on Neuromuscular Biology in an overseas resort? You can get to do so in the Elsinore Summer School!
Jointly offered by University of Copenhagen (UCPH) and National University of Singapore (NUS), the Elsinore Summer School is a 3-week intensive programme focusing on Muscle Biology and Neurobiology.
The Summer School gives you a chance to study in small group lectures and tutorials, attend talks given by guest lecturers from UCPH and Novo Nordisk, and interact and make friends with students from NUS and UCPH.
Each year, either UCPH or NUS will be the host for the Summer School.
In 2017, the Summer School is held at the Koventum in Elsinore, Denmark.
The Summer School takes place from 2 July 2017 – 22 July 2017.
The Summer School is co-taught by faculty members from UCPH and NUS, and includes recent literature review, research proposal writing, intensive discussions and collaborative group work.
Students will take a module ‘Neuromuscular Development and Disease’, which introduces them to neuromuscular development, function and disease, and their interactions with metabolism and metabolic disease. Students will also be introduced to the challenges and realities of drug development as seen by the biomedical industry.
Major topics to be covered include:
- Muscle Biology
- Development of skeletal muscle
- Differentiation of muscle stem cells
- Muscle stem cells in regeneration
- Muscle and metabolism, molecular and cellular effects of exercise
- Muscle disorders and therapies
- Development of the nervous system
- Neural induction and patterning
- Differentiation in central and peripheral nervous system
- Neuroregeneration and neural stem cells
- Animal models for human neurodegenerative diseases
- Ionic basis of neuronal signalling
- Molecular biology of ion channels & ion channelopathies
- Development of neuromuscular junction
- Interplay between brain and metabolism
The Elsinore Summer School is mapped to LSM4210 Topics in Medical Science, on a graded basis, for 4 Modular Credits (MCs). This can be used to fulfil the B.Sc. (Hons.) major requirements and be counted towards Specialisation in Biomedical Sciences requirements.
NUS students must:
- Have taken LSM2101 Metabolism and Regulation OR LSM2102 Molecular Biology OR LSM2103 Cell Biology.
- Have a CAP of 3.75 and above.
- Be in Year 3 Life Sciences (preferably with Specialisation in Biomedical Science or Specialisation in Molecular and Cell Biology) and NOT in their graduating semester.
Number of Places
There are 15 places for NUS students and 15 places for UCPH students.
The course fee is about SGD2,400 (depending on the conversion rate), including accommodation and meals. On top of the estimated SGD2,400, you are required to purchase your own air tickets.
Novo Nordisk offers a limited number of scholarships for the Elsinore Summer School under the Novo Nordisk International Talent Program. The Program is set up to assist students from the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU) in a range of select academic fields seeking to study abroad at the University of Copenhagen. The scholarship will typically amount to approximately EUR1,200 a month.
For more information and to apply for the Program, please visit http://studies.ku.dk/exchange/admission/nnitp_scholarship/ and submit an application to the Science Study Abroad Team after you have received the internal offer.
Click here to find out more about the various financial assistance schemes offered by NUS.
Programme Application Procedure and Deadline
To apply, login to NUS Integrated Student Information System and submit your application under External Study Type ‘Summer/Winter’. Do also prepare the following documents and upload them with your application:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement, including your reason(s) for applying to the programme, how it is related to your studies, how you can benefit from the programme, and how you can contribute to the programme, in no more than 500 words.
Applications for 2018 will open in January. Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview.
All students travelling overseas for activities or purposes approved, endorsed, organised, sponsored or authorised by NUS will be covered by the NUS Student Travel Insurance Policy. Click here (under Insurance Cover for Official NUS Trips) for more information.
Exclusions to the NUS Student Travel Insurance may apply. Students are to ensure that they have sufficient travel insurance coverage, and may consider purchasing additional travel insurance if required.